Henderson County Drainage Districts protect the Village of Gulfport; approximately 16,000 acres of property; and Highway 34, which provides traffic flow from IL into Burlington, IA. The original pump station sustained damage during the Flood of 2008, depleting the total pumping capacity of the district. In collaboration with the Village of Gulfport, Henderson County Drainage Districts hired Klingner to design a new pump station on the original site.
A complex siphonic design was proposed that utilized the existing discharge pipes of the original 1913 pump station, but incorporated state-of-the-art electric pumps and pump automation controls. The use of the existing discharge pipes not only saved on costs, but also eliminated additional excavation within the levee. Klingner designed a sheet piling pump intake structure to house three electric motor driven pumps. The superstructure of the pump station – as well as an enclosed platform housing for unit controls (variable frequency drives, telemetry, SCADA, etc.) – is elevated above the 500-year flood elevation.
The new pump station increased capacity from 100,000 GPM to 316,000 GPM within the project’s strict grant limits.
Additional services provided by Klingner include: construction administration, geotechnical data analysis, topographic / hydrographic survey, and 408 permission coordination.