Midway 4102, LLC, purchased the property at 121 W. Main St to house their expanding boutique — and contracted with Klingner to restore the two west storefronts of this historic structure to their former glory.
Built in 1892, the building’s facade had deteriorated due to years of deferred maintenance. Klingner’s historic preservation specialist visited the building, documented its condition, and provided a report outlining her recommendations for repairs and modifications.
Although a previous owner had covered most of the original glass facade, much of the property’s original historic material — including ornate cast iron columns and platforms — were still intact. Working with the owners, Klingner’s historic specialist created a design package that aligned with the prototypical Italianate style of that period. The facade was cleaned, repaired, and rehabilitated using colors and materials appropriate to the time.
The project utilized funding from the City of Mt. Sterling’s Facade Improvement Program and recommendations followed the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.