Pi Beta Phi, the first sorority in the nation to expand into different chapters, was founded in Monmouth, IL, in 1867. In 2014, a direct descendant of a founding member donated the funds to build a new chapter house on the Monmouth College campus.
Klingner provided architectural and engineering services for this elegant two-story home. Designed in an updated southern style, the building was strategically configured to create a balanced exterior while maintaining key adjacencies. Large windows and clerestory windows allow natural light to fill the house, creating a naturally welcoming environment. Klingner architects also paid homage to the founders with a lighting fixture above the main stairwell that incorporates the arrows from the sorority’s logo.
The building features one single and seven double bedrooms, four full and three half bathrooms, shared laundry, a covered patio, elevator, private parking, and a chapter meeting room. The basement serves primarily as a storm shelter and mechanical space.